Hospitalization & Emergencies
COVID19 Heading link
This form is not intended for COVID-19 reporting and/or verifying absences related to COVID-19. Our office does not oversee academic decisions and therefore cannot make accommodations for virtual learning, nor can we excuse absences or provide extensions on assignments/exams. Similarly, the DRC is not providing virtual learning accommodations for students who test positive for COVID or need to quarantine because of COVID exposure.
The official UIC guidance states that students who test positive for COVID -19, were in contact with an individual who tested positive for COVID-19, OR are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, should work with UIC Contact Tracing to make a formal report. Contact Tracing at UIC can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (312)355-2555. Contact Tracing will provide additional guidance related to your quarantine requirements If you have already made this report, and/or tested positive at a UIC saliva testing facility, please wait to hear back from Contact Tracing and contact your faculty members regarding your situation in the meantime.
Faculty Notification of Emergency Absences Heading link
When a student experiences an emergency that keeps them from attending classes for an extended period of time, Student Assistance is able to notify the student’s home college about their absences. If the student is unable to contact Student Assistance, a family member or staff member may contact Student Assistance to request an absence notification when a student will have short-term and/or unexpected absences from the University.
Student Assistance will provide appropriate notifications to the college and faculty on the student’s behalf. Absences that warrant absence notification may include, but are not limited to: alleged victim of a crime, personal illness or personal injury that result in hospitalization, or death of family member. If any of these situations applies to you or your student, please fill out the Student Absence Verification Request and a Dean of Students staff member will contact you shortly.
Upon returning, the student may need to provide documentation for the absence to the home school or college and/or faculty, if requested. The student should remember they will need to speak directly with each professor as soon as they are able to in order to make arrangements to complete any necessary work.
Important to note:
- An absence notification does not excuse the absence or replace the absence policy listed on the course syllabus. Faculty may excuse the absence at their own discretion.
- An absence notification is prepared for a student in emergency/critical situations only (e.g. illness/injury, hospitalization, death in family, alleged victim of a crime, etc.).
- A student should always speak to their faculty directly to arrange making up any missed work.
- When possible, Student Assistance should be contacted prior to the student leaving campus and not after the student has returned.
- Absence notification is NOT a requirement for students. If a student contacts instructors about an emergency situation directly, it is not necessary to involve the Office of the Dean of Students as you arrange to resolve the absence. Instructors are always welcome to share information with the Dean of Students staff about any student concern.
Student deaths Heading link
The Office of the Dean of Students works directly with the family of the student, the student’s faculty and College. If you need to report a death of a UIC student, please contact us at 312-996-4857.