Military Tuition Assistance
Tuition Assistance (TA) funds are a source of financial aid for active duty, reserve and guard members.
Steps to Using Military TA Heading link
- Speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service prior to applying to the institution.
- Apply for admission to our university https://admissions.uic.edu/. Be aware of admission deadlines and print your degree plan (degree plan may also be acquired from an academic advisor or program coordinator)
- Once admitted, please allow at least 6 weeks to complete the full Tuition Assistance request process. For best results, submit a request Military Tuition Assistance a maximum of 60-45 days prior to the class start date. Maximum days are dependent on the service branch. Please note, the deadline for submitting a request for Military Tuition Assistance for all branches is a minimum 7 days prior to class start date.
- Register for courses; all branches require registration prior to TA approval.
- Choose Military TA as your payment method on your branch education portal.
- Meet with your Education Services Officer (ESO) for a briefing on TA.
- Request required TA forms through your branch education portal for each course with a unique start date.
- Army and Air Force students will utilize an online system for requesting tuition assistance through the Air Force Virtual Education Center. You will apply for tuition assistance through the portal and it will be sent electronically to University of Illinois Chicago for processing.
- Navy, Marine Corps., and Coast Guard Students will submit an application through the Navy College Office’s Virtual WebTA portal.
- Please review these helpful steps to assist with the Navy College Office’s Tuition Assistance approvals on https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/sailors/tuition-assistance.
- Send a copy of your Tuition Assistance Authorization to the bursar by clicking https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/payments/sponsor_billing
- Disclose all sources of aid: Contact the financial aid office if you plan to use multiple sources of aid, such as FSA or other scholarships.
- Please note, your approved Military TA request must be received and processed at least five days prior to the start of your course.
A full list of TA approved programs and tuition can be found at https://registrar.uic.edu/financial-matters/tuition-and-fees/.
Please note that TA may only cover a portion of your cost and you are responsible for any costs not covered under TA. Please consult with your ESO and Bursar Sponsor Billing if you have any questions. More information about Billing and Payments can be found on the Bursar’s PaymyBill Site https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/.
Return of TA Funds
The Institution will return any unearned tuition assistance (TA) funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. In instances when a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.
Link to UIC’s refund schedule:
Full 16 Week Term Heading link
|Before or during weeks 1-2
|During week 3
|During weeks 4-5
|During weeks 6-7
|During week 8
|During weeks 9-10
|During weeks 11-16
8-week refund schedule (fall and spring) Heading link
|Before or during week 1
|During week 2
|During week 3
|During week 4
|During week 5
|During week 6-8