About Dean Of Students

Student Veteran Affairs FAQ

Walk in counseling is available from 9am - 5pm, Monday – Friday
UIC Student Services Building
1200 West Harrison Street, 3030 SSB (3rd Floor)
Chicago, IL 60607

Student Veteran Affairs FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I begin? Who do I contact?

All students, regardless of veteran status must contact the Office of Admissions to begin the admissions process and to answer all questions about enrollment. http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/

UIC is committed to a fair and balanced review process that utilizes a multitude of factors in an effort to select the students who are best equipped to transition to and graduate in four years from UIC.

Freshman Admission

Freshman admission is for students under 24 credit hours and the full completion of high school courses. For further details, please click the link below. https://tigger.uic.edu/depts/oar/undergrad/apply_undergrad.html

Transfer Admission

For fullest consideration, a transfer grade point average of 2.50/4.00 on the basis of all transferable work attempted is recommended. Transcripts should illustrate a minimum of 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of transferable college classroom credit at the time of application. College and departmental requirements vary. For further details, please click on the link below.

Back to Top

Is there a special admissions process for veterans?

There isn’t a different process for veteran’s students. Student veterans adhere to the same admissions requirements as all students at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Back to Top

Who do I contact about my veteran’s educational benefits?

The Office of Student Veteran Affairs handles all inquiries about veteran’s educational benefits, including the G.I. Bill (Montgomery, Post 9/11, 1606, 1607, and Vocational Rehab) and Illinois Veteran’s Grant and Illinois National Guard Grant.

Back to Top

For my veteran’s educational benefits, what do I need to get started?

The first step would be to contact the Department of Veteran Affairs (888-442-4551) to inquire about the benefit that you qualify for. Once you are admitted to the university, present your letter of eligibility, along with a copy of your DD-214 to the Office of Student Veteran Affairs. http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ Toll-free: 1-888-GI-BILL1 or 1-888-442-4551

Back to Top

How long does it take for my benefits to be processed?

A completed file with a completed Academic Advisor form, G.I. Bill Benefits form, letters of eligibility and DD-214 can be processed within one day. Each semester, students must have their Academic Advisor form completed and signed by an academic advisor for enrollment to be reported to the VA

The VA is the last payer for tuition benefits and can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to send payment back to the university. BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) payments go directly to the student and usually arrive to a student’s account on the 1st of each month. To set up direct deposit with the VA, the student will need to contact the VA directly.

Back to Top

Are there any organizations or activities for veterans on campus?

UIC’s Student Veteran’s Association is very active with programs throughout the academic year. The Office of Student Veteran Affairs conducts activities throughout the year to help foster a positive academic experience for our student veterans, including the VITAL program, which is in conjunction with Jesse Brown VA Hospital.

Back to Top