U & I Care Emergency Fund
The U&I Care Emergency Fund continues to be accessible for students experiencing financial constraints, especially in light of the COVID-19 updates. We are aware that many students may be impacted as further developments are announced. Although U&I Care is faced with limited resources, we hope to support all students in need. Upon completing your application for the emergency fund, we ask that you understand that many of your fellow students are experiencing similar financial hardships as we navigate these uncertain times. Please be mindful of your financial request and provide documentation to support any requests made. We encourage students to contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships prior to submitting your application to ensure you have utilized any and all aid awarded to you for the 2020/2021 academic year. Any applications received between December 17th through January 4th will be reviewed beginning January 4th due to UIC’s winter break. Thank you for your patience at this time. Please take care and stay safe.
U & I Care Fund
The U and I Care Emergency Fund is made possible through the partnership between the Office of the Dean of Students & Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships. The U and I Care Fund provides temporary, short-term financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet essential expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship. This emergency funding program is designed to offer financial assistance to students in the form of one-time awards (typically not exceeding $1000). Emergency funding is NOT intended to provide ongoing relief for recurring expenses. Decisions regarding disbursement of funds are made on a case-by-case basis.
Types of Expenses Considered
- Overdue rent and utilities (i.e. eviction notice, utility disconnection notice)
- Medical, dental, or mental health emergencies
- Books, school supplies, or other school related expenses
- Replacement of belongings lost in a fire or natural disaster
- Safety related needs (i.e. changing locks, short term emergency shelter)
- Travel related to the death of an immediate family member
Expenses Generally Not Covered
- Tuition and fees
- Campus Housing costs
- Health insurance
- Credit card expenses
- Parking tickets and other fines
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, and non-emergency travel
- Other non-essential expenses (i.e. cable bill, cell phone bill)
U & I Care Emergency Fund
To find more information about the U and I Care Emergency Fund, eligibility requirements, and how to apply, visit the online application.