We are in the heart of winter with still a ways to go, so that means flu season is in full swing! At this time of the year, it is important, now more than ever, to make sure we are staying healthy to keep ourselves safe from any harmful viruses. Being that the weather in the Windy City can be undoubtedly unpredictable, it can be difficult to escape these colds and illnesses most of us catch commonly. On such a large campus, we come into contact with many other students and faculty, so we need to make sure we are doing everything in our power to prevent the spread of germs that can lead to sickness. There are many very easy ways to keep yourself safe from catching a cold or illness. Here are some easy tricks you can do to keep your immune system up:
- Keep cough drops on you at all times in case you start to feel a scratchy throat.
- Sanitize your hands after coming into contact with others to get rid of any possible sick germs.
- Wash your hands with soap AND water to prevent spreading any germs.
- Keep a sweater with you at all times due to the fact that room temperatures may fluctuate.
- Watch the weather each day to wear appropriate clothing to ensure you won’t catch a cold.
- Take vitamins to help boost your immune system.
By using some of these tricks yourself, you are decreasing the possibility of spreading unwanted germs onto others. In a school community, it is important that we all watch out for one another, and that means ensuring the safety of our own health and being conscious of our own health habits in order to prevent spreading something as simple as the common cold.
To learn more about symptoms of the flu or common cold, consider visiting the CDC’s website to read more about how these symptoms could match yours and treatments to help you get right back on track to feeling 100%!