About Dean Of Students


Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of issues can Advocacy Services help with?

An advocacy representative from the Office of the Dean of Students would be happy to help you with issues of housing and homelessness, financial hardship, illness, injury, victimization, safety concerns, emergency situations, or any other personal difficulty with which you may require assistance.

Back to Top

Why did I receive a call from someone from your office about my police report?

We attempt to reach every student who has filed a complaint with the UIC police department by phone. We want to check in with you, make sure you are ok, and see if there is anything we can assist you with during what might be a challenging time. Feel free to give us a call back at (312) 996-4857 if there is anything you would like to discuss.

Back to Top

I need help and don’t know where to turn. What should I do?

Please give us a call at (312) 996-4857 and ask to speak with any of the Deans about an advocacy issue. We will do all we can to assist you with your needs, whether that be handling your situation primarily in our office or referring you to another office or resource, should that be most appropriate.

Back to Top

Will my parents find out I’m working with advocacy services?

Any records kept regarding your advocacy case are private under federal law. This means that information about your case cannot be shared with parents, or any other party, without a signed release form from you, or as allowable under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Learn about FERPA here: http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

Back to Top

Will my information be kept private?

We will not disclose any information about your case without prior consent. In certain situations where the well-being or safety of any person is in question, we will have an obligation to inform authorities.

Back to Top

Can you help me in a dispute with another student?

We frequently assist students who are not getting along or seeing eye to eye to resolve the situation in a respectful manner.

Back to Top

I’m concerned about another student. Who can I talk to?

Please call us at (312) 996-4857 right away. We are here to listen to your concerns and to help figure out how best to assist your friend.

Back to Top